Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Welcome to MSN.ca
Today is my day off. Yesterday, I rented the Matrix Reloaded (Remember, I have teenagers...) and A Mighty Wind (Long live the Folkies!) on DVD and pretended it was Friday night.
Chips, dip, hubbie and my big cozy red flannel PJ's with cute polar bears frolicing and a sapphire blue velour robe.

What can I say about the Matrix? Mesmerizing noodle bender. See it in an IMAX theatre if you can.

As for the other, we have a globally known Folk Festival around here, and the screenplay was co-written by Canadian Eugene Levy, probably in atonement for his part in the American Pie movies.
Do you know who Leonard Cohen is? Sylvia and Ian Tyson? There were many a knowing nod in their tribute.
I saw a TV special on a Canadian station that reunited some folksie ensembles, and it was bittersweet in moments, a little like this movie.

I am getting to know my car. I haven't named it. It sometimes stalls on the start. For a machine of it's age, it appears and behaves very respectably. I could take this car to a wedding or funeral, and not need to be the last to leave in order not to be seen getting into it in the parking lot. I could go to a job interview without looking desperate/poor.

SHOPPING. I dressed my youngest in snow pants, ski jacket & gauntlet gloves yesterday night. It cost a fortune to buy new, but warm outer wear is hard to find second hand. Sometimes you can find Melton wool, leather and real camelhair, and, if you are VERY lucky, down-filled vests and jackets. But almost never in youth sizes. People of that age usually wear their clothes to rags. I bought my sons caramel apples for $4 each from Rocky Mountain Candy Co. Very attractive, until you bit in and found a Rocky-hard Granny Smith green apple! Sour, too! I had a hot apple cider with a real cinnamon stick, which I have been gnawing on. Today, I got myself a few bargains - last weeks $40 roses for $10 from my fav florist. Ten loaves of last chance bread for $6 (yummy premium multigrain - I can rarely buy it fresh). Sandalwood soap, hubster's favorite, 2/$1. Sweaters, 2/$1 (green label, based on day received at Goodwill). I got six of those. I also lucked out even more and found an Unwin edition of the Hobbit with a cover illustration by Tolkein's own hand. (His original plan was to illustrate all his LOR books himself, as he was a competant draftsman and artist. He made many sketches). One book of his, words and pictures, was recently in print for the first time, Roverandom.

I'm trying to live well on limited funds, creatively. The roses and caramel apples may seen a luxury to some, but if you saw their fabulous colour, light scent and if you could feel what it does for me, you who disapprove now may change your mind. As for the carmel apples, what can I say? They were rolled in Smarties, sprinkles and chopped nuts. I will insist on Macintoshes next time. Best apple for the job.

I had Physio today. I fell asleep a few times, getting the warm moist heat, and then getting the TENS treatment. Funny thoughts go through your mind as you lay there, cushioned and bolstered, as if floating.

When I come home, it seems to be Hubster's cue to leave. He is spending a lot of time on the computer. And his cel phone bill is really high. Over $175! There are literally hundreds of calls this month. He gets free data (email), fax, and Mob Browser. It's the actual calls themselves that cost.

I wonder, should I worry?

I want to talk about it.
But I'm just getting a busy signal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home