Friday, April 01, 2005

World Beard and Moustache Championships

This is the MSN site of the day today, and of course, Gentle Reader, it is all about men's beards, so I just had to look.
Why?
My Dad won a prize in his workplace beard-growing contest, and has often indulged himself in the art of creative beard-and-moustacherie.

Yes, I admit it - I have a soft spot for men's beards and moustaches!

Is there a 12-step programmme for me, or is it okay that I walk the earth completely succeptable to a manly set of well-combed whiskers?
My husband and second son wear natural whiskers.
Even a strong Five-O'Clock shadow on a pale face has appeal for me.
It just says to me, "Hello, I am simply so tight with testosterone that whiskers literally leap outta my face, no matter what brand of shaving cream or razor I use!"

A hopeless case of whisker-wistfullness.
Sigh.
I will just have to bear that burden.

I had my last lecture last night. I distributed and then collected the course assessments for my instructor.
Some of the students were very critical of him, of his organization and language skills.
It is no , I suppose, that they sat at the back, chatting and carping among themselves.
I sat in the front row, rapt, and gained an ever-increasing and undiminished regard for him.
He is a very kind man - too kind, perhaps, and they didn't respect or appreciate him as they ought.
My own discussion of his spelling standards caused him some pain, I think.
"Et tu?"
I hope his next class treats him better.

My Mother also had to learn a new language in a new country.
I used to ask her why she was so hard on herself when she made a mistake in grammar or spelling - after all, it wasn't her first language.
"Exactly why I must get it right," I remember her saying.
She still has her cute accent, age 78. She still counts and computes in her first language.

I love her so much.

We here are praying for the Pope.
I am not Catholic, per se, but I appreciate what this Pope has done to uphold the right in this world.

God bless him and grant him final words to express the cry of his heart for the people and the church he has loved and served.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home