Sunday, December 05, 2004

SKS: Kalevala (in English)

I just watched the National Geographic "Behind the film" special on The Lord of the Rings.
It was very good. I am a LOTR buff. We have a large collection of Tolkien's writings, some biographical, some themed material.

The NGS special mentioned the Kalevala as a reference both for the elvish language Tolkien developed, and thematic elements in the story.
It is an oral tradition in a disappearing language, in a ghost-town, in a land which has lost it's young people to big cities.
The site above gives links to the written story.

I am starting to put Christmas together.
I have a few modest gifts put away from throughout the year.
It hardly seems a holiday.

The tree is great, but I can't get anybody to do anything more, and I can't do it all alone.

I'm wanting, willing, waiting, for the Spirit of Christmas to visit me.

I's like to be unscrooged, please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home