Friday, September 26, 2003

Welcome to MSN.ca
Today was a day off for me.
I thought my bro was bringing his wee terrier over to be puppy-sat by my 13 year old, because today was an inservice day, therefore no school.
So I didn't luxuriate in bed, sleeping in as I might otherwise.
Puppy is coming Saturday morning instead. Bro's 12 hour shifts must be hell!
Oh, well. Nice to be up alone in the quiet morning. Meditate. Try to think about what I am on the planet for, and why I am in the situation I am.
Saw my counsellor. I feel that our discussions are drawing to an inevitable conclusion. I need to talk to more people to get some balance.
Got a haircut from a student stylist. Didn't get to see the very special person I wanted to. She'd have done a fine job, I think. I'd love to wait, but my hair was in my eyes. I like it now. The woman who did it was a very nice aboriginal, a new student, a little shy and very gentle. We started talking about pets and family, and life in general. I hope that I get to see her again.
I should retouch the colour soon. ROOTS are SHOWWWING.
Strayed into a used bookshop. I am a total sucker for old books. Like some people with shoes or yardsales, I guess.
I found a few books in the "$4 ea or 3/$10" stack that interested me.
One was an overview of influential Medieval writings. Although they may have been too early to be printed, many works were transcribed by hand by secular and monastic Scriptoriums, "factories" which used human hands and eyes to reproduce pages one at a time. Some short works which could be single pages were reproduced via woodcuts. Books had great value then, and were covered in cases that locked, which sometimes were encrusted with jewels. Early libraries, almost always private, chained books to oaken lecturns to prevent theft.
Another was a biography of a remarkable European Rabbi translated from Yiddish to English. It was in excellent condition.
Yet another was the novel Ramona, about an aboriginal girl and her struggles with prejudices. It was similar to Uncle Tom's Cabin, and seemed also to be written in the 1800's.
But it is vital to conserve money, and I didn't BUY any of these temptations.
I also visited a thrift store, and found something I'd been looking for for almost 20 years.
A drafting chair to go with my drafting table.
And cheap!
Obsolete today, the drafting table with it's pale green covering of self-healing Bork was a must when I studied graphic arts.
Those were the pre-computer, pre-Quark days of PMTs, lettraset and T-squares.
My son has my table now, and uses it as a desk of handsome proportions. Now he will have the chair, too.
I also got a bathing suit, because we need to expose ourselves a little more for our next massage class, when we start to work on the muscles of our backs.
I have a bathing suit already, which is in itself a guarantee that my body will certainly be found in case of drowning.
And that my family will never acknowledge me at a beach or swimming pool.
It is BRIGHT yellow with big, bright, blobby flowers and a cute little skirt.
Hubbie hates it, and, while I kinda like it, I chose something more conservative for his sake.
Red beans and rice with pulled pork sandwiches for supper. Hub made the pork on Thurs. - with homemade french fries. Delicious, of course, but I can't eat it or I suffer from the GERD. Actually he suffered, too. We have to start eating old people's food, or we'll crisp out from heartburn.
Money troubles are always there. They resurfaced today. I simply don't make enough. It's Mr. Macawber's receipe for misery. However, there is some interest in the downstairs room we offered to homestay programs. One of them called back to schedule an inspection. We could also offer the 18er's room, or the main floor bedroom, if we move back upstairs.
I am hoping for something certain before October.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home