Saturday, March 13, 2004

Dr. Laura
Here is a link to Dr. Laura's website. I am listening to her tapes on the 10 stupid mistakes that men make to ruin their lives. I also took in her 10 stupid mistakes women and couples make tapes, and her tape on the Ten Commandments. She's funny. I am sure people wonder what I am doing laughing like a nut in the car. The truth can be funny, but it's still the truth.

I had coffee, or rather Blueberry Burst Herbal tea last night at Cafe Teatro with the two young women who had my family over for lunch without me two weeks ago.
It was nice to visit them and to listen to the story of their week, their hopes and dreams, and to tell them a little bit about myself. Hopefully they will remember not to omit me again
I told them about my spring cleaning, my Who I Am box, which I have begun to affectionately call my Obituary Box since the funeral earlier this week, and my love letters.

Is it wrong for a married lady to keep old love letters?

After all, I ran into one old beau four weeks ago at the Conservatory with Hub. I had the memory to recognize him, and to be suffused with a surge of mellow, fuzzy fondness, such as I might have for a really good friend, teacher, boss or colleague.
Rereading the card he sent me, I face that, long ago he was more than that to me. Do I need reminders of an affection from half a lifetime ago?

And there is the problem of the main old boyfriend who actually kept in touch with me several times over the years. The boy next to next door. A couple of years ago he phoned me again. He invited me to see him, which I was OK with, IF Hub could come. No, he said. Just you. No, I said, how about my house where you can meet my husband, three sons, dog and the neighbours? See me in my natural habitat? No, how about a neutral coffee place? Near my ahem, hotel? No! Did he read some men's article on bored housewives and/or old flames??
He also gave me his address and phone number, which has "somehow" disappeared, all for the best.

I wrote him a letter, though never sent like about 80% of my letters, about why I said no, which I gave to my husband to read so he would know my loving, loyal heart.

That's MY love letter to Hub.

Last night, I went out with Hub after I got back from the s. I had Ginger Peach tea (ugh! Too much bitter ginger and not enough peach, even with honey stirred in) and we talked. We found a byline in a community paper with the name of someone once connected to our house. Didn't expect to see his name again for some time, like 5 to 10 years, based on what we heard about him. But there's two sides to every story, and we never did hear his view.

I wonder what Dr. Laura would say?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home